Broccoli and red bell pepper tossed with a spicy peanut sauce makes a delicious side or stir in some cooked chicken or tofu to make it a main dish.
Makes: 4 servings, about 1 cup each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
• 1/3 cup creamy natural peanut butter
• 1/2 cup water, divided
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
• 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
• 2 tablespoons canola oil
• 1 1/2 pounds broccoli crowns, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
• 1/4 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
1. Whisk peanut butter, 1/4 cup water, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and vinegar in a medium bowl until smooth. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add broccoli and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften and brown in spots, about 6 minutes.
3. Add the remaining 1/4 cup water and 1 tablespoon soy sauce to the pan along with bell pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until the pepper has softened and the liquid has evaporated, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the reserved peanut sauce and season with crushed red pepper. Garnish with peanuts.
Per serving: 319 calories; 23 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 6 g fiber; 385 mg sodium; 503 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (242% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 2 vegetable, 3 fat